Monday, February 11, 2013

Work in progress at 12MM

Last night was the first night of 12 Minutes Max at Washington Hall. After a botched tech rehearsal and no dress for me (I had to teach), I tried to go to a zen place in the little tree room downstairs from the theater where all the artists awaited their few minutes of audience time.

I haven't gotten to see the show yet but from the vantage point of the dressing room things look exciting and wildly all over the place. I didn't recognize Joyce Liao at first in her pompadour and letterman jacket surrounded by Syniva Whitney's Gender Tender crew in their briefs donning Syniva's latex phone hat creations. Actually, bare legs and little undies seemed to be a theme for costumes in the show, if not all out nudity.

I got to experience Linas Phillips Chauncy monologue as I sat in the vestibule under the stage awaiting my turn which gave me an interesting and disturbing perspective of being part of his performance, as if I was somehow in his character's earnest and fucked up brain.

The lights come up as I struggle with my extension chord and suddenly there is the possibility of being in a performance with a 100 people in it. If only I could figure out how to make it enticing to leave the chairs. One more try tonight. I'll report more after that.

No comments: