Saturday, August 04, 2012

Things written down during the first day at ImpulsTanz

Without the time or energy for being very eloquent, I thought I would copy some of the barely legible notes from the first day of Jonathan Burrow's Writing Dance Intensive, a mostly theoretical discussion about how we engage with making dance and  followed by exercises about how we experience the "rules" (more specifically, how visible they are and whether that is important) in a performance.

Rules about time he has borrowed -
From Steve Paxton - The body can only concentrate for three hours at a time
From Mortin Felman - Cut of the first 5 minutes of what ever you make - that was the warm up
Someone else (john cage?) - Work one week without judgment, video it, then wait a week, then watch it

Random quote:

Collaboration can be a very bad thing. . . enough time spent with your OWN stupidity is a good.

We also had to write the answers to many questions about our creative process, self and external criticism and our hopes for the future.  We had to share what success would mean for us to the group.  Since I shared it with a bunch of strangers I thought I would share the full version here:


Success to me would look like a sustained dance practice and performance schedule that I continue to be curious and fulfilled by, that (concretely) provides me with opportunities to perform outside of Seattle and the United States; that allows me to work with and around committed artists investigating material that contributes to dialogues about art, the human experience, and the world around us; and that, in the long-term addresses the question of how to listen and respond to aging while remaining a dance artist with respect and compassion for the body. 




No comments: